There is a smoothie and then there is a green matcha smoothie.
Are you guys tea fans? Beyond green tea lies this trendy superfood called matcha.
I have been trying to find another way to get that pick-me-up first thing in the morning to curb my love of coffee.
“Green matcha lattes” have been highlighted on the chalkboard menus at many cafes in my neighborhood these days. They cost almost $6 for a small size (gotta love NYC), so I decided that I could probably make something delicious with matcha on my own!
I was intrigued when I first heard about green matcha. Matcha is less processed than green tea and it’s health benefits are extensive.
It is known to improve mental clarity, cognitive function, physical activation as well as relaxation. This brain food also fights cancer-causing free radicals because it is LOADED with antioxidants.
Did you know that matcha has over 137 times more antioxidants than brewed green tea? This stuff is really amazing! It boosts your health AND your energy.
Powdered green tea – also known as matcha – tastes crazy good when combined with coconut milk and vanilla extract. This smoothie is such a yummy way to start the day or to have post workout with your favorite plant-based protein.
The frozen banana in this recipe makes it chilled to perfection and gives this smoothie some extra body. The almond butter in this shake adds great flavor and protein. Some of my clients use peanut butter instead, but I use almond butter whenever possible.
As I mentioned, coconut pairs very well with matcha, so I go coco-crazy and throw in canned coconut milk, coconut flakes AND coconut almond milk. This shake is delicious, creamy and dairy free!
- ⅔ cup canned full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut almond milk
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 teaspoons Green Tea Matcha powder
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- ⅓ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt, adjust to taste
- Using a high-speed blender, combine all ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth.
- Enjoy immediately!
Happy New Year! Are my readers as desperate for an immune boosting detox as I am?
For those of you who don’t feel you need a healthy detox, I am wondering how you survived the holidays; but for the rest of us who ate a little too much of the things we spend eleven-and-a-half months trying to avoid, it is time to make my turmeric elixir. Those who use turmeric swear by it, and I’m beginning to think that it might have magical powers. There has been plenty of buzz around this root for being an anti-inflammatory powerhouse, and it has many other exciting benefits. One of my clients who has arthritis started mixing turmeric into her smoothies every day. She started off as a skeptic, but now she says she feels noticeably healthier. Everyone I know who uses turmeric has a similar experience.
I am a firm believe that the food we ingest can dictate the way we feel physically, mentally, and emotionally. If we eat nutritious, plant-based, delicious foods on a regular basis our bodies will feel alive, energized, awake, light, and beautiful. As I mentioned before, consuming unhealthy foods on a regular basis makes our bodies feel lousy, lethargic, gross, heavy and bloated… think of that feeling on New Years Day when you are cataloging everything you ate and drank over the week prior.
Keep your immune system boosted during these cold months by staying healthy this winter season and taking five minutes out of your day to make yourself this turmeric elixir to fight inflammation (the root of many diseases). Not to mention the fact that your skin will thank you as well. All you need is a couple ingredients and a blender, and you’re all set!
Here is a list of the ingredients and some of their benefits:
Coconut Water: Hydrating and contains electrolytes, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, sodium and potassium in their natural form.
Lemons: Cleansing, detoxifying, balances pH levels and acidity, and is anti-aging.
Ginger: Aids in digestion, nausea, works as an anti inflammatory, boosts immunity, fresh tasting
Turmeric: Great for pain relief, works as an anti inflammatory, detoxifying, loaded in antioxidants, and a great medicinal healer
Cayenne Pepper (optional): I have a client who asks me to add a pinch of cayenne in her elixir to enhance digestion and also because she likes a bit of a kick in her drink, but it’s optional.
Immunity Boosting Turmeric Elixer
Author: Michele Wolfson
- 4 cups of young coconut water
- 4 inch piece of fresh turmeric, peeled
- 2 inch piece ginger, peeled
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Cayenne Pepper, dash (optional)
- Blend the coconut water, turmeric, ginger, lemon juice, and cayenne.
- Can be stored in the fridge for up to three days.
If you can't find fresh turmeric and need to use the powdered turmeric, use about 1 tablespoon.
Who is ready to detox with me after the holiday season?
This is the time to kick your booty into high gear and sign up for my 3-Day Detox! You will LOVE the way you feel after 3 days and it will help you to get started on your road to a healthier lifestyle.
Click here to learn more about the cleanse and read below for healthy tips and ways to keep your New Years Resolutions:
Did you eat and drink too much yesterday? Who didn’t?! Just look at me… I definitely was enjoying my champagne last night… We know the holiday season is a time when we overlook overeating all in the name of good spirit and celebration. And although we can’t take back everything we ate yesterday, we can take a couple steps to help detox and bring our bodies back to normalcy after much indulgence.
Here are a few tips you can use today to help your body feel great. Feel free to use the same tips if you just so happen to overeat again during the next couple holidays as well.
Drinking plenty of water can help start your cleanse.
Drink ginger tea which helps to improve digestion and green tea which helps eliminate toxins from the body. Watching a show like Downton Abbey makes me crave a spot of tea. Whatever gets you in the mood… drink your detox tea!
Eat leafy greens which can help eliminate extra sugars in your body from that extra cocktail you had last night. Arugula, cabbage, kale, and other greens can help. This cabbage soup is my New Years Day detox dream meal.
Get some exercise! There’s no better way to burn off the extra calories you ate then by getting up and walking it off. So if you’re going shopping even to the gym, park a little farther so you walk a little more today.
Here are my New Year’s resolutions for 2015:
A bad habit I’m going to break:
Procrastinating! I need to put everything in my google calendar and THEN make sure that the task gets done when it’s supposed to get done!
A destination I’d like to visit:
Somewhere with beautiful, exotic animals.
I’m going to work harder at:
Making time for exercise.
A project I’d like to finish:
Decorating my apartment and planning my wedding (which feels like a very fun project).
A class I’d like to take:
Nutrition courses & hopefully food photography.
I’d like to spend more time doing:
Giving back to others and volunteering.
A food I want to eat more of:
Raw fruits and veggies. They’re nutritional gold!
I want to wear more:
Dresses and jewelry. I love getting dressed up!
What are your resolutions for 2015?
Fill out the questionnaire yourself in the comments, or print it out and keep it as a reminder.
And if you want some extra pointers on making your resolutions last, check out my list of tips.
Spring is here, so why not celebrate the vernal equinox by spring-cleaning your body NOW! Sign up for a 3-day Detox Cleanse that will provide you with a safe and effective way to move forward. Done the right way, detoxing will change the way that we look, feel, and even the way that we think about food. Here are 5 reasons to start a safe and effective juice cleanse:
1. You will feel better on the inside and out when toxins are eliminated from your body. From constant bloating to chronic fatigue, a detox can get rid of the daily problems that are caused by the Standard American Diet, (also known as SAD… how fitting). Most of us walk around with constant complaints about how we feel, but we don’t have to live this way. A toxic system often causes constipation, fatigue, mood swings, hormonal imbalances, pesky weight that seems impossible to shed, acne, eczema, dandruff, excess mucus, and bloating. With the right detox program, all of these problems can melt away. The results from participating in a detox cleanse are often pretty remarkable. By the end of the cleanse, most people see their skin start to glow, their pants fit a bit better, and even the whites of people’s eyes are whiter.
2. Energy levels will go up after cleaning the gut. When my clients are done cleansing, especially those who participate for 1-3 weeks, they say that they feel so much lighter. Not just because they often shed quite a few lbs, but the brain fog has been lifted. In the beginning of the cleanse people often feel the opposite and may get discouraged. Some complain that they are tired, hungry, have a headache, have sleep difficulties (are either very tired or can’t sleep), and feel irritable, but these are all actually good signs! It means that your body is eliminating toxins and getting rid of all of that junk that can lead to these kinds of withdrawal symptoms, which are similar to those who quit smoking or drinking. It seems crazy, but often we crave the foods that we are most allergic to. Removing those allergens can cause brief, flu-like achy symptoms that may last in the beginning, but by the end, cleaning your gut results in higher energy levels. This is because the bad bacterias that were once surrounding the gut are now eliminated. The gut contains neurotransmitters and produces most of our serotonin, which controls our mood. Once the gut can work effectively, we feel happier and much more energized.
3. There will be a new appreciation for food. Detoxing brings about an awareness of why we have certain eating habits. So many of us eat simply out of boredom, but when you are on a detox juice cleanse, you don’t have that option and it forces you to break that bad habit. It is easy to eat for the wrong reasons. Changing up your diet is a good way to break the desire to make poor eating choices. Also, taste buds will change during your cleanse. You will start to crave clean food once you eliminate all of the unhealthy stuff from your diet.
4. Remove, restore and rejuvenate. We live in a toxic world that affects our air, water and food, and toxins lodge themselves into our bodies. Humans even as recent as a century ago didn’t used to eat like we do now. We detox in order to enhance our natural detox system in our bodies. Simply by taking the time to detox we are able to restore and rejuvenate by ingesting only fruits, vegetables and healthy fats. Eliminating sugars, simple carbs, alcohol, dairy and all processed foods sounds harder than it actually is when committing to a detox program.
5. Signing up for a juice cleanse allows you to have all your meals prepared for you during your busy life. People often complain that they don’t know what to make for breakfast, lunch and dinner and taking the time to come up with something and then prepare and cook it is just plain overwhelming. When you are on this detox juice cleanse, all of your juices are being delivered to you and you know exactly what you will be consuming for the next three days. Now you can focus your thoughts on other things instead of what you are going to eat. This might sound trivial, but taking away this stress is a major plus that people profess while they are cleansing.
I am currently offering a 3-Day detox juice cleanse packed with all of the nutrients that one needs throughout the day. I’m providing free delivery for HBS students, partners, and staff who work or live on or nearby campus. For more details, please contact me at email@example.com or 914.424.2912